This is one of the things I love about living out in Marana. We got to watch the cotton as it went from a seed to fully bloomed and ready to harvest. I don't know why but I have always loved to see the cotton in full bloom. It reminds me of snow and it's the closest thing one gets out here.
The mound in the back is the landfill.
Like this one with the 3 big trees and the mountains in the background. One of those tiny houses in the background is ours.
This is what they are left with as they go along harvesting. These bales are HUGE and I am in complete awe at how many of these are produced from the fields. It just doesn't add up to me but it's awesome.
If you have never seen it before, this is what cotton looks like on the plant. We had some stray cotton blow up to our front door and we were incredibly surprised at how crazy soft it is. I expected it to be fluffy and kind of soft but it is one of the softest things I have felt.



3 comments:
I grew up on a cotton farm. I loved it too and got to watch my dad watch his crops.
Now let me tell you what you're supposed to do with those crops! when they are blooming, you're supposed to pick the blooms and make bouquets with them . . . or if you would like to spruce up yourself a bit, you just put them in your hair . . Dad will love seeing his crop prancing and dancing. When it gets to this stage, you go out and pick it to stuff yo front while playing "Gunsmoke". Miss Kitty didn't have a flat front! When your stuffed dog, Cookie, gets all packed down and the head flops over, you go out and pick a little new stuffing, shove it in and then stitch Cookie up with kite string, it's easier to thread in that big old needle!!
I love this - I love farm fields throughout the year! Thank you!
Makes me miss being there!
Post a Comment