17 August 2012

Homemade Jam

So I got this itch a little while back to take a stab at making my own strawberry jam. When strawberries were on a great sale one week I finally bought a bunch and figured it would motivate me to make jam. I certainly wasn't going to buy a bunch of strawberries and let them go to waste. So one Saturday my sister Jenn and I made jam. It was fun to try something new and I am super happy and proud of how it turned out. I was also amazed at how incredibly easy it was. There was certainly something very fulfilling about making my own jam. I am excited to try more things in the future like maybe spaghetti sauce and salsa.

The needed supplies.
 Throw everything except the sugar in a pot and bring it to a boil.
 Add 7 cups of sugar. For real, 7. It's insane.
 Boil it 'violently'. Got that term from the pioneer lady. Love it!
 Turn off heat and skim the foam.
 Fill the jars, make sure to make a mess because for me at least there is no other way to cook.
 Boil the jars.
 Lay out to rest and wait to hear those wonderful popping sounds of the lids sealing.
It really is basically that simple. It looks beautiful and tastes awesome. We made it through our first jar in a couple days. We also made jam with less sugar and it turned out equally as delicious. Just make sure you buy the proper pectin. Everyone should take a shot at canning. Jam is a super simple, easy way to start. OK, Ready. Set. Go!

1 comment:

Mary Jane said...

And the jam is so good. I try to find things to eat it on. Grandpa and I really like it. And that canning pot she used has been around awhile. (Like 30+years) I was so glad she wanted to use it.