02 April 2012

Zebra Report

Zoey just did her first research report and presentation. I won't even go into how ridiculous I think it is that a 1st grader is required to do this, let alone the requirement now that the Kindergartners write a research paper too. I could go on about it but I won't. It had to be done and I actually did have a good time helping Zoey with her project. Her animal of choice was the zebra and if you ask her she picked it "because I thought it would be the easiest". She is totally her mother's daughter. We did a little research on them and Aunt Jenn and I helped her write her report. Our scanner doesn't work so I just typed it up real quick to share. 
I chose the Plains Zebra. They live in southern and eastern parts of Africa in treeless grasslands. They eat mainly grass but also eat leaves and herbs. It is really important for them to drink water. Plain Zebras have black and white stripes and a black muzzle. They are 4-5 ft. tall and weigh up to 450-600 lbs. They live in herds. When they stand side by side they are either grooming each other or watching for danger. Plain Zebras are usually the ones you see at the zoo.

She had to have some sort of visual for her presentation. I had the thought for this diorama at like 3 in the morning the night before when I couldn't get back to sleep. We painted the shoe box "desert" yellow and glued some dirt and grass in the bottom. Zoey drew and colored the 2 adorable zebras standing in the foreground and then we found a picture online to stick at the back of the box for the background. I think it turned out really cute.
I think she did a fantastic job for being only in 1st grade. Her teacher did too because she scored a 4 out of 4 on all 5 categories she was being scored on. Zoey is a hard worker and always does such a wonderful job with school work. We never have to worry about less from her. Here's to the start of many projects in the futures of my children. Yay! (That yay is incredibly full of sarcasm.)

1 comment:

Mary Jane said...

Great job Zoey & helpers. However, I agree - REDICULOUS! (And this includes science papers, team projects, etc. etc. at least for a few more years)And there are much better ways to involve parents in their kids lives. And if they don't have an adult to help - they become unsuccessful/discouraged. Since when are children supposed to be miniature adults. We are adults long enough let them be kids while they still can. (Off my soap box now).